City Theater Company is the hallmark of cutting-edge, interactive, and affordable theater experiences in Wilmington. The company celebrates rarely performed pieces, envelope-pushing topics, and the elevation of local original work, performing in The Black Box at OperaDelaware on the Wilmington waterfront. CTC is “committed to ridding the planet of complacency, redundancy, indifference and fear – therefore clearing the way for fun, electricity, cool art, and some major chutzpah. The folks here believe that theater should be filled with big energy, big ideas, big fun, and other big stuff we haven’t even thought of yet.”
• The company was launched in 1993 by three University of Delaware graduates. CTC’s Producing Artistic Director is Michael Gray, one of its founding members.
• City Theater Company presents a Community Series each season, highlighting the work of local playwrights and giving performance opportunities to young and emerging actors, writers, and tech crew.
• City Theater Company regularly partners with Wilmington organizations such as AIDS Delaware, Delaware Humanities Forum, Fringe Wilmington, OperaDelaware, and Wilmington Renaissance Corporation to produce community events and performances.
• City Theater Company’s productions in The Black Box at OperaDelaware are evocative of true, intimate “New York Off-Broadway” style theater, seating 100 people within the space.
• In 2005, CTC won a Barrymore Award for its production of “Hedwig & the Angry Inch”.